Gooood morning lovely people. Oh, and Happy New Year! I know we’re now in the third week of January, so it’s perhaps a little late, but better late than never. I hope you all had a brilliant festive period, filled with lots of laughter, love and good times. Now we’re in another new year (and decade!!), I thought I’d kickstart 2020 by looking at what lies ahead for this year and, also, this next decade.
Firstly though… 2019; what a year. It was something else entirely. If you’d asked me at the end of 2018 whether I could have predicted any of it, the answer would have been a flat-out no. I became single, moved into my own little flat, went through hell and back mentally (thanks vitamin deficiencies), ran the freakin’ GNR, to name just a few. Most importantly, it was the year I remembered to be me, do me and love me. I finally channeled my inner self-worth and self-confidence. I forgot what that version of me looked like before then. So, 2019, you were a tough ass year but damnnn you were a good’n.
Back in August, I set myself a few goals for the remainder of 2019 with the view to look back at them on the end of the year. It might be the start of a new year, but I didn’t get the chance before Christmas – November and December were busy months! So, let’s take a look:
- Continue my fitness journey and keep making progress ✅ this one was an absolute success. In August, I was 4 weeks away from the GNR and still didn’t quite feel ready. It might have taken just under 3 hours, but I crossed that finish line. I think it might be my biggest achievement of 2019 and, perhaps, ever.
- Continue catching up with friends on a regular basis, even just by text ➖ I achieved this for the next few months, but as soon as things got busy in November/December, I ended up going back to my old ways. Early mornings/late nights/long work days weren’t really conducive to succeeding with this one. It’s something I’m going to take forward into this year.
- Post more regularly on Simply AJ and Instagram ➖ again, I was really good with this over August-October and then hit a wall once things got busy. Although, I did post a lot of Christmassy content on Instagram in December.
- Get back into reading ➖ this started well into the last few days of December, so I’m leaving it as a “kind of successful”. It’s definitely something I’ve already succeeded with in the start of 2020.
- Cross-stitch more and finish current projects ❌ this one is a flat out fail. I think I picked up my needle all of 3 times so I didn’t progress much with any of my current projects. We’ll give it another try in 2020.
- Get out and travel more ❌ another one which was a flat out fail. A busy November/December didn’t leave any time and, before that, I didn’t have the financial capacity, as I explore in this post.
2020 is already off to a good start. At the end of last year, I applied for the new Team Leader role within my department and, thankfully, succeeded. This meant I started my newly promoted position when I returned to work a couple of weeks ago. I also started the year (almost) financially stable which is a position that has taken me a lot of hard work, effort and, let’s face it, a lot of stress and tears to get to. I’ve got lots of travel plans in the pipeline over the course of this year and you know what? I’m actually so excited to see what lies ahead for me, not just this year but the next 10 years of this new decade. Anyone feel me?
With that in mind, I’ve set myself a few goals – both personal and blogging. 2020 is the year I start making a real effort to determine my own fate.
- Make a real stab at my savings accounts; in addition to my normal savings, last year I set up a help to buy ISA. Now I’m sorted financially, I’d love to make real inroads into saving.
- Travel more; I didn’t do well with this one last year so I’m definitely keen on succeeding this year. Pipeline plans already suggest I’m going to do A LOT better this year.
- 12 books by the end of the year; despite having a goodreads account for years, I never actually used it. Then I discovered the reading challenge – my life is changed. 12 books should be easy though, seeing as I’m already on 3 and a half.
- Continue on my self-worth, self-confidence and self-love journey
- Catch up with, and visit, friends/family more
- Post more regularly; having done so well towards the end of last year, I want to continue posting more regularly. This means I need to be better organised and prepared so that I’m ahead of myself.
- Engage with followers and other bloggers more; being better organised for the above means I should have more time to engage with others!
- Continue growing my blog and social media followers; I’m hoping to reach 1000 followers on all socials by the end of the year but, as this post states, it’s no big deal if not.
- Grow my YouTube channel; between posting more and promoting more, there’s a lot more I want to be doing in respect to my channel.
Although I’ve based most of these goals on this year’s progression, most of them stand long-term too. I’m super excited to see what Simply AJ brings over this next decade. I feel like I have so much to give… I just need the time to be able to do so haha!
So, that’s it from me today. I hope this post has inspired some goals and targets of your own. Let me know what they are down below!
Here’s to 2020; not just a new year, but a new decade. Make them yours!